Thursday 19 March 2015

Brudenell Poetry Assembly

The battered trumpet                                       Photo: Kevin Hickson


Sheila Chapman writes:
Don’t ever throw away battered and broken things. They might clutter up your house but they can also fire imaginations and inspire marvellous poetry. That’s what happened at Brudenell primary school today when Year 5 children set to work writing about an old trumpet (pictured).

They loved that trumpet, they thought about it, they used their senses and then they stood up in front of us - an audience of over sixty people - and read us poems about it. Brilliant!

Here are some snippets:

Left old in an antique, murky fire,
An iron letting out emotions like steam,

Volcano erupting,
Steamy slushing in a lions heart,

It looks like a plunger,
A rain cloud growing brighter,

Tastes like moondust,
Fallen from high in the lightening sky,

Metal birds singing,
Whisked from the air.

Lifeless trumpet,
Crushed and mushed,
The soul back for revenge,
Bringing armies and death,
It seems like judgement day.

Tasting copper,
If only it could do magic,
It could play whenever it wanted to.

Dragon shouting,
Tornado storm,
The broken trumpet.

A wrinkly old man,
Wheezing,
Treasured music

Crushed by a big foot.

Feels like emotions of a broken heart.

Shaped like an ice cream cone,
Sound of blowing noses,

Old and dusty like an old oil factory,
A broken car engine,

Demolished and dent,
Flowing lava flood,
The hidden secrets,
A cracked core,

A grumpy man,
A volcano erupting,
Burns people with his loud voice,

It smells like frozen oil,
Tastes like a metal nail cutter,

The dragon screaming,
Oily sniper rifle,
It feels like judgement day.

The trumpet looks like a telescope,
It smells like money,

She turned into a man,
With coin bones all over his body.

Metal, steel, shocking,
Patterns of roses of life.

It’s old and rare,
Like a tarnished rifle bullet,
Sounds of a trumpeting elephant.

Hard like a Lamborghini,
Tastes like metal chocolate,
Smells of garbage.

If it was a person,
It would be my granddad,
He doesn’t care how he looks,
He looks battered and old,

A rocket launcher,
About to launch in my eyes.

1. Comments from staff

Wonderful sessions. Children engaged throughout. Really enjoyed it :)) Yr. 5 form teacher

Really fired the imagination of many Yr5 pupils and helped produce some wonderful poetry. Yr. 5 classroom assistant

A wonderful programme of poetry studies that really opened up a creative site to many students Yr. 5 classroom assistant

Great to see the hard work the children had put in. James is clearly an inspiration! Thanks and see you next year. Teacher at Brudenell primary school

2. Selected comments from the children - in response to four questions: What has been the best thing about this project? What have you learnt? Why is it good to share your work with other children in school? What will you remember about this project?

What has been the best thing about this project?
The best thing about this project, for me, was when we wrote our first draft.
Writing the poems and giving ideas to people
Writing the poems.
Talking about the trumpet.
When you was showing us the things on your first day like the boxing gloves and that dance book.
Looking at the trumpet.
Getting some good ideas
The trumpet has been the best bit and the poems.
It is when we read our poems to the audience.
We got to write our poems using 5 senses.
When we were writing the poem
What have you learnt?
I have learnt to write a proper poem.
 I have learnt that you put the poem in ideas, and then you write the poem in bits.
I learned to make a poem.
That poems don’t have to rhyme
I have learnt how to describe in poems and know how to write and make poems.
How many lines are in one verse in a poem.
I have learned how to make an amazing poem.
To do the poems and do the story about the trumpet.
I have learnt new words and I think my imagination has grown.
 I have learnt to describe something.
I’ve learnt using 5 senses you can write something nice.
Lots of things about trumpet and reading
My best thing was when we wrote our poems you guys helped us.
Why is it good to share your work with other children in school?
Our confidence grows when stand in front of an audience.
Because it could give them ideas if they’re stuck.
It makes me proud.
To get ideas to people.
Because we can learn from each other and make it better.
It is good to share your work with other people in the school because everyone can see your fantastic ideas and your confidence will grow.
People might enjoy my poems.
It is good to share your work so that people can learn more.
Because they can take some information and write them in their books.
To have good feedback
To show how fun it is
It is good to share with other children so that they get to know what we are learning about.
So then you will not be scared and you will overcome your fear.
What will you remember about this project?
It is fun.
Five senses. The trumpet.
I will remember the trumpet. Whenever I see a trumpet I will remember your trumpet.
Looking at the trumpet
We got a little mystery with James Nash.
That you have taught me a lot of things about poems and trumpet
I will remember all the audience clapping and Rachel and Mr James Nash saying lovely comments about me.
I will remember everything I did with Nash.
I will remember I was the first one to touch the trumpet.
I would remember the poem that we wrote and the trumpet.
I will remember about the boxing gloves and I will remember about the people clapping.




No comments: